4 slices of bread (I used seedy kamut), cubed
1/3 cup pecorino cheese (optional)
1 cup chopped herbs (I used dill and parsley)
1 TB olive oil
Salt and pepper
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 small-medium red onion, thinly sliced
2 TB cooking oil (I used veg)
2 sausages (I used vegan ones), sliced into rounds
1 bunch hakurei turnips, ends removed (save the greens), and quartered
2 bunches of greens (used the turnip greens and a bunch of broccoli leaves), chopped
2 cups of baked squash (I used butternut), cubed
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1 TB dried oregano
1 tsp paprika
2 cups broth (I used veg)
1 TB maple syrup
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 300. Toss the bread cubes with 1 TB olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Spread out on baking sheet and bake until browned, about 15 minutes. Once baked remove from heat to cool. Separate cubes into two halves and mix one half with the 1/3 cup of cheese, and chopped herb mixture. Set both aside.
2. Heat 2 TB veg oil on low heat in a medium cast iron pan. Add sliced onions, stir, and cook on low for 20 minutes or until caramelized. Do not stir anymore. Add garlic and sauté for 10 minutes, stirring once then leaving them. Once 10 minutes is up turn to medium heat, allow to heat up for 2 minutes, then add red wine vinegar.
3. Add sliced sausages and cook for 10 minutes or until vinegar liquid has evaporated.
4. Add 2 cups of soup stock, turnips, oregano, paprika, and bring to a boil. Cook until most (not all) of the liquid has evaporated, about 5- 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in maple syrup.
5. Scoop all ingredients from pan into a bowl. Fold in greens, roasted squash, and other half of bread cubes (not the herb mixture).
6. Preheat oven to 375 and oil the same pan you just used. No need to wash it out. Add bowl mixture and press it down gently. Top with other half of herb/cheese mixture. Loosely cover with aluminum foil and place in oven for 30 minutes.
Photo credit: Catena Farm