Tomato and Basil Panzanella Salad
3 tablespoons good olive oil
1 small French bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (4 cups)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 pint of tomatoes, cut to desired thickness
1 large cucumber, halved, then sliced 1/2-inch thick
1 avocado, cubed (optional)
2 small red onions, cut in half and thinly sliced
20 large basil leaves, coarsely chopped
1⁄4 cup feta cheese (optional)
For the vinaigrette
1 teaspoon finely minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons regular balsamic or white balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup good olive oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat the oil in a large sauté pan. Add the bread and salt; cook over low to medium heat, tossing frequently for 10 minutes or until nicely browned. Add
more oil as needed.
2. For the vinaigrette, whisk all the ingredients together.
3. In a large bowl, mix the tomatoes, cucumber, avocado, red onion and, basil.
3 Add the bread cubes and toss with the vinaigrette.
4. Top with cheese, if desired
5. Season liberally with salt and pepper.
6. Serve, or allow the salad to sit for about half an hour for the flavours to blend.
Recipe Adapted From: Ina Garten
Photo credit: Catena Farm