Grilled Jamaican Jerk Eggplant
Grill up some spicy eggplant on the BBQ and serve on a bed of rice. Top with lots of cilantro and lime juice. Feel free to adapt when necessary as these recipes are just guidelines. We are not professional chefs.
1 tsp ground cinnamon • 1 Tbsp ground coriander • 1/4 tsp allspice • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper • 1/2 tsp each sea salt and black pepper • 2 Tbsp fresh thyme • 4 cloves garlic, minced • 1 Tbsp fresh grated ginger • 3 Tbsp lime juice • 1/4 cup tamari • 2-3 Tbsp coconut sugar or maple syrup (plus more to taste) • 2 Tbsp melted coconut oil, or vegetable oil, plus more for grilling • 3 stalks green onions or 2 scallions (thinly sliced) • 1 medium chili pepper (thinly sliced, seeds removed) • 1 large, or two small eggplants
1/4 cup BBQ sauce • 1 Tbsp lime juice • 1 Tbsp olive oil • 1 Tbsp coconut sugar or maple syrup • 1 tsp fresh grated ginger • 1 pinch each sea salt and black pepper • 1 stalk green onion (thinly sliced) • 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
1. In a small mixing bowl, mix together cinnamon, coriander, allspice, cayenne, salt, pepper, thyme, garlic, ginger, lime juice, tamari, coconut sugar, coconut oil, green onions or scallions, and chili pepper.
2. Taste and adjust flavour as needed, adding more tamari for saltiness, lime juice for acidity, fresh herbs for earthy flavour, coconut sugar for sweetness, pepper for heat, or garlic for bite / zing.
3. Slice eggplant vertically (lengthwise) into 1/2-inch thick "steaks" and generously brush both sides with the marinade.
4. Heat up a grill to medium-high 3 heat and lightly oil to discourage the eggplant from sticking. Once hot, add eggplant and grill on both sides until golden brown and grill marks are present - about 3-5 minutes each side.
5. In the meantime, prepare sauce (optional!) by adding BBQ sauce, lime juice, oil, coconut sugar / maple syrup, ginger, salt, pepper, onion, and cayenne pepper to a small bowl and whisking to combine. Taste and adjust flavour as needed.
6. Serve grilled eggplant as is or over rice, and with sauce (optional). For a more substantial meal, marinade cubes of tofu or meat of choice with the optional sauce and cook on BBQ until charred.
Recipe Adapted From: The Minimalist Baker
Photo credit: Catena Farm