Grilled Jamaican Jerk Eggplant
2. Taste and adjust flavour as needed, adding more tamari for saltiness, lime juice for acidity, fresh herbs for earthy flavour, coconut sugar for sweetness, pepper for heat, or garlic for bite / zing.
3. Slice eggplant vertically (lengthwise) into 1/2-inch thick "steaks" and generously brush both sides with the marinade.
4. Heat up a grill to medium-high 3 heat and lightly oil to discourage the eggplant from sticking. Once hot, add eggplant and grill on both sides until golden brown and grill marks are present - about 3-5 minutes each side.
5. In the meantime, prepare sauce (optional!) by adding BBQ sauce, lime juice, oil, coconut sugar / maple syrup, ginger, salt, pepper, onion, and cayenne pepper to a small bowl and whisking to combine. Taste and adjust flavour as needed.
6. Serve grilled eggplant as is or over rice, and with sauce (optional). For a more substantial meal, marinade cubes of tofu or meat of choice with the optional sauce and cook on BBQ until charred.